A mosaic commission usually begins with a discussion with a client regarding where they would like a mosaic to feature, mosaic size, ideas for a design & colour scheme, mosaic materials, timescales and finally a budget. Full guidance is provided throughout.
Once these initial ideas have been considered and agreed I would draw an initial design (or use one provided by the client) and email or mail a photograph to the client. Amendments to the initial design are made as requested. Once the design has been approved a payment of 50% of the cost of the completed mosaic is requested.
The mosaic is then created by myself or with clients (if forming part of a project). When the mosaic is completed the mosaic is despatched or delivered (as agreed) with fixtures and fittings and installed (or instruction provided for installation, as initially agreed) by the date set. The remainder of the cost of the mosaic is paid by the client at this point.
Commissioning a mosaic is simple and adds a unique and special addition to any environment (indoors and out). Mosaics look great in a garden, bathroom, kitchen, hallway and conservatory. A mosaic commission for a restaurant, hotel or company logo can really make a powerful statement of 'we're well established and here to stay' - just as the Romans did!
I am a Professional Member of the British Association of Modern Mosaics (BAMM).
Mosaic commission 'Larkin 25' mosaic toad by Sue Kershaw
Mosaic commission 'Larkin 25' mosaic toad by Sue Kershaw
Look out for my mosaic toad (commissioned by the Architecture Research Centre) in Hull's Museum Quarter (Hull and East Riding Museum, 36 High Street, Hull HU1 1NQ) which formed part of the Larkin25 festival (www.larkin25.co.uk) celebrating the poet's poem 'Toads'.
Mosaic commission 'A Moth for Amy'
My 3d mosaic moth ‘Aspire’ was commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Group for the Amy Johnson Festival 2016-2017 and can be seen on permanent display inside Bransholme South Health Centre, Goodhart Road, Bransholme , Kingston Upon Hull, HU7 4DW..Amy Johnson's plane was a gypsy moth.
Fentimans mosaic commission, Hexham
The BBC featured an example of one of my commissioned mosaics for Fentimans Botainicals Drinks on the Great British Railway Journeys by Michael Portillo during a visit to Hexham. The mosaic of the company logo can be seen below.
I have recently been working on a Hull City of Culture 2017 collaborative project with the British Association of Modern Mosaics (BAMM) North Region funded by the Big Lottery Fund in which over 130 mosaic birds were created by the artists and community - installed in the foyer to the railway station from September 2017 for a year. I was lucky to have worked with children and families from Wansbeck Primary School during two workshops where we created approximately 20 birds.
Hull City of Culture 2017 mosaic commission
Hull City of Culture 2017 'Fly to Freedom' mosaic commission
Fairlawns Hotel & Spa Mosaic Commission
St Mary's Church, Whitkirk, Leeds
St Mary's Church, Leeds Christian Mosaic Commission
STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO A MOSAIC COMMISSION
1. Decide where the mosaic commission is to be sited
2. Establish the size of the mosaic commission (advice can be given on appropriate dimensions for the site).
3. Select a theme for the mosaic commission (you might have already chosen an image or would like the mosaic to be designed by professional mosaic artist Sue Kershaw)
4. Discuss and select the mosaic materials for the mosaic commission (and discuss costings)
5. Agree a budget for the mosaic commission
6. Finalise the mosaic commission design
7. The mosaic artist Sue Kershaw will then create the mosaic and deliver to site
8. Final payment of the mosaic commission is made by the client
MY MOSAIC COMMISSIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
• the public sector (British Heart Foundation; York University; York District Hospital; NHS Hull; Trafford Macmillan Care Centre; Hull and East Yorkshire MIND; Action for Children; Yorkshire Wildlife Trust; and, ARC - Architecture Research Centre)
• ecclesiastical buildings (St Mary's, Leeds; Christ Church, York; Woodlands Methodist Church, Harrogate and St Mary Magdalene Church, Whitgift)
• commercial sector (Fentimans Botanical Drinks Ltd, Hexham; James Hardie international; The Rattle Owl Restaurant, York; Marco Polo Restaurant, Driffield; and, The Lemon Tree Restaurant, Kirkbymoorside) and White & Case LLP, London;. Images of my mosaics have been used in an advertising campaign by international legal firm White & Case. My mosaics have featured in trade show stalls in London.
• private homes in the UK and abroad (wall art, bathroom features, floor mosaics in conservatories and applied art such as lamps, picture frames & mirrors)
As a qualified Community Artworker (having trained with Artlink, Hull) I am available for consultation and facilitation of public community art projects. Projects include mosaic commissions in London, Hull, York, Leeds, Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Burton upon Trent, Bradford and Romford.
COMMUNITY MOSAIC COMMISSIONS
WHAT I DO
• Initiate mosaic projects within the community, source funding and complete projects
• Collaborate with organisations to facilitate and complete community mosaics
• Provide fun and educational mosaic workshops with a diverse range of client groups
• school mosaic workshops - working in over 100 schools across the UK from 2007
• Arts Project Lead for Arts in Mind project with mental health charity Mind across Hull and East Yorkshire
• floor and wall mosaics and sun dial with mental health clients in NHS Humber Centre hospital
• mosaic fountain and mosaic wall murals in a medium secure prison with prisoners
• wall mosaic and mosaic plaques with Macmillan cancer patients
• church wall mosaics with churches in Leeds, York, Harrogate and East Yorkshire including the congregation, schools and community groups
• 3d mosaic toad in Hull
• mosaic respite workshops for young carers with Action for Children
• mosaic workshop with partially sighted children and adolescents with Action for Blind People
• mosaic, creative writing and textile projects with Mind dementia clients
• mosaic mirrors with special needs children
• mosaic after school club with disadvantaged parents and children
• children's centres mosaic classes with children
• museum mosaic workshops with adults linking to Roman mosaic collection at Hull & East Riding museum
• school workshops leading to exhibition of children's mosaics at Ferens City Gallery, Hull & Artlink Centre for Community Arts
• Yorkshire Wildlife Trust 'Dig In' mosaic created with clients with learning difficulties and the local community in York
• WI, art and community group mosaic workshops in craft centres & village halls
CHARITIES, COMMUNITIES, LOCAL AUTHORITIES & THIRD SECTOR ORGANISATIONS I HAVE COLLABORATED WITH INCLUDE
• Action for Blind People
• Action for Children
• Artlink Centre for Community Arts, Hull
• Arts Council
• Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
• Big Lottery Fund
• British Heart Foundation
• City of Culture Hull 2017
• English Heritage
• Ferens City Gallery, Hull
• Friends of Roman Aldborough
• Harrogate Borough Council
• Heritage Lottery Fund
• Hull and East Riding Museum
• Hull City Council
• Hull City of Culture 2017
• Hull Maritime Museum
• Leeds City Council
• Leonard Cheshire Disability
• National Lottery Community Fund
• NHS Hull Clinical Commissioning Group
• NHS Humber Hospital
• Oldham Borough Council Green Dividend Alley Regeneration Project
• Orchard Park Children's Centre, Hull
• Renewable Energy Trust
• Scarborough Hospital
• Slough Children's Services Trust
• Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council
• Wakefield City Council
• Women's Institute
• York City Council
• York Hospital
• York University
• Yorkshire Wildlife Trust