AS A MOSAICIST I:
Sue Kershaw grouting children's school mosaics
- Provide mosaic workshops in schools and the community across Yorkshire & UK
- Undertake public, private and commercial mosaic commissions
- Produce my own mosaics for exhibition and sale
QUALIFICATIONS, PROFESSIONAL BODIES & CERTIFICATES
- Provided mosaic workshops since 2007 in a wide variety of schools and community settings
- Engaged diverse client groups including special needs, disadvantaged children, cancer and mental health patients, prisoners, BAME
- Created and written projects, successfully applied for funding (eg Arts Council) and run projects to completion with the third sector
- Teaching qualification (PTTLS)
- Community artworker qualification (C&G NVQ3 Community Artworker)
- Degree (BA Joint Hons 2:1 English & Social Anthropology)
- Professional member of British Association for Modern Mosaics (BAMM)
- Certificate in Safeguarding Children (Level 1)
- Mental Health First Aid certificate
SCHOOLS I HAVE WORKED WITH
CHARITIES, HOSPITALS, LOCAL AUTHORITIES I HAVE WORKED WITH
- a clear Enhanced DBS certificate (formerly known as CRB)
- public liability insurance
- transport & full driver’s licence
Travelling to Ravenna, Italy in 1992 had a life-changing impact on me. Standing in front of the world’s greatest Byzantine mosaic interior of the Basilica of San Vitale I knew I had to master the art and techniques of these anonymous great mosaicists.
Further explorations of the Roman sites of Britain, Italy, France, Spain and Greece combined with a love of architecture and pagan archetypes continues to inspire my geometric, literature and nature based mosaics.
Working from my studio looking out across the Wolds and North York Moors, I am passionately driven to achieve a balance between creating a great initial design with the physical creation and arrangement of tesserae that flow harmoniously throughout the work.
Each mosaic is produced with hand-cut double fired French porcelain, which has an impervious matt surface, very similar to the natural stone colours of Roman mosaics, with the additional highlight of vibrant vitreous, sicis or smalti glass and mirrors providing a contemporary twist.
I hope you enjoy them as much I did in their making.
Working with clients at the Macmillan Care Centre, Trafford on the Hope mosaic for the entrance to the centre
'Entering the Forest' £395
Check out my blog on Sue Kershaw, Mosaic Art
Mosaic Artist (York, North Yorkshire, UK)
Email Sue Kershaw Mosaics
I am a Professional Member of the British Association of Modern Mosaics (BAMM).